It was the Apple ‘Spring Forward’ event the other day and Apple announced a few things. As expected, there was more on the Apple Watch. They also announced a new Macbook, which is just called MacBook. Its not a Pro or Air but kind of sits in-between.
However, I just don’t get why they would release it. Its all thin, light and portable – just like the MacBook Air. So why would people now buy the MacBook Air now?? Its actually like an iPad in a way with it being so thin and having just one port – but more of that in a bit. Here are my other thoughts:
- The first is about how it only has ONE USB-C port. This is a new port which can be used for everything – whether its power or data. Like the rest of the features of the MacBook, its clearly thinking about the travel, being portable and how the world is more wireless etc. But its not “that wireless” yet. How many people have devices to connect to a computer which are USB-C?? I bet most people just have things which are normal USB. Your thumb drive, external hard drive. Or maybe you want to plug in something else like an SD card. It will mean you will have to carry with you loads of adapters and that means more money for Apple! (A display adapter cost $80!).
- Also, with just the one USB-C port, there is no display output. For this you will definitely need an adapter (to HDMI, VGA etc). And what if you forgot the adapter, you could be at an important meeting and can’t connect it to a display. You’d have to do something like email it to someone – not ideal! And with one output, you have to potentially decide on whether you want power, hard drive, maybe even a USB mouse/keyboard. You could be running out of power but need to plug in a thumb drive but you can’t do both!
- Its got a Retina Display (unlike the Air) but its got a mobile processor. A mobile processor?? (And one of the lowest Core M processors in the range at that).
- Has a lower quality camera – a 480p camera?! Even the iPad has a 720p camera!
- The new keyboard with the butterfly keyboard and the Force Touch do sound impressive. Also how they have the layered battery – thats cool. And of course, it looks amazing.