Spoilers ahead (of course).
I planned to write this blog post about a few weeks ago after watching a midnight screening of Batman V Superman. Everyone had their say about it – it seems that all critics didn’t like it and “real people” opinion on it was mixed.
Personally I didn’t like it. It wasn’t awful but not good. But made a bit worse because of what it could have been all it was a movie with Batman in it and Superman in it.
The recent Superman movies I don’t really like myself – I think most people don’t like them really either. The recent Batman movies are much better – although personally I am not as much a fan of Dark Knight / Dark Knight Rises. For me have their faults. I much prefer Batman Begins.
Anyway, back to Batman V Superman:Dawn of Justice.
- Lex Luthor – so annoying! Its like he was told to act as Mark Zukerberg (from Social Network) who was told to act like the Joker.
- Lois Lane – she was basically just the “damsel in distress”. Its 2016 – really!!
- Wonder Woman – saying that about Lois Lane, Wonder Woman was good and a strong female character. But she was hardly in it. Either don’t have her in or in it more. (I know there is going to be a Wonder Woman movie but still!)
- Dreams/flashbacks – was confusing with all the flashbacks and dreams and wasn’t clear when it was a dream and when it was a flashback. And what was happening in them I wasn’t clear what was happening.
- Doomsday – disappointing.
- Why did Lex Luthor kill everyone in the courtroom – including his trusted assistant?
- Actually why Batman and Superman decide to fight. And then decide to stop fighting.
- Jimmy Olsen – he has an old 35mm camera. Really??! Seriously?! And having a tracker in the film canister??!
- Superman – not supposed to kill anyone. But he does within minutes of the start of movie. Or certainly don’t guy probably wont be walking ever again.
- Perry White – who is the editor of the Daily Planet. He tells Clark to write some sports story. Clark, who is not a sports journalist, writing about sport instead of the other, like several, sport journalist the major newspaper has.
- The “I thought she was with you” line. Funny in the trailer. And actually in the movie. But then thinking about it – Batman knows who she is. He met her at the party.
- Why does Lex Luthor create Doomsday? He doesn’t have control of it. As well as potentially killing Batman and Superman, it could kill him and destroy everything.
I know some of the things I didn’t like in the movie would have been understood if I read the comic books. But I don’t. And I reckon the majority of people who watch the movie would be the same.
And its not all bad. As I mentioned Wonder Woman was good. And I thought Ben Affleck did a good job as Batman. Henry Cavill didn’t have much to work with. But Superman was basically just moody and spends must of the movie moping about – there is a difference between being moody and dark. Superman should be “more cheery”.