A bit late with sorting out this list but there were a few “big” movies from last year I have only watched recently. Many of these top 10 movies of the year lists often miss out movies which were out early on in the year. Often, thats a good reason but sometimes you get some really good movies out around January/February. In 2012 for example, Chronicles was out 1st February – and that was a really good movie.
Finding it too hard to make an actual top 10 but here are my favourites in no particular order (these are movies which were released in cinema in 2012):
- The Amazing Spiderman – really liked this. Andrew Garfield makes a much better Spiderman – although hes probably too good looking to be Peter Parker and not that much of a “geek/nerd” if he manages to get the hottest girl in the school
- Total Recall – sure many would disagree but I liked this. I like Colin Farrell and any movie with the beautiful Kate Beckinsale gets an extra few points from me.
- The Hunger Games
- The Raid – not much dialogue but non-stop martial arts action. Brilliant. (Dredd was very similar but with guns – it was only in 3D in the cinema so that didn’t help but Dredd is not bad).
- The Avengers – great fun. Great action. Hulk star of the movie plus as always the Iron Man/Tony Stark humour
- Argo – well directed. Great story. Well acted
- Ted – very funny
- Chronicles – great movie which many people will have forgot about since it was all ages ago (or missed it completely). I originally thought it was some Twilight type movie.
- Ruby Sparks – a different sort of “romance”. More an indie comedy/fantasy/romance. Maybe a bit slow to get going a bit but really enjoyed. Stand out scene is near end where it gets very dark. Zoe Kazan who plays Ruby wrote the movie – the first thing (TV/Movie) she has wrote.
Worth a mention:
- Skyfall – although overall it was just OK and the best bit was the first 5 minutes (and I personally wanted more gadgets), I did like the villian.
- Taken 2 – its hard when “Taken 1” was so amazing but this was good (if a bit daft) fun.
- Silver Linings Playbook – movie was alright but Jennifer Lawrence was AMAZING in it.
- The Muppets – was actually out in 2011 in US but not out in UK till Feb 2012
Worst movie(s) of year:
- Killing Them Softly – rubbish!
- The Bourne Legacy – boring. Little action. Nothing happened for about 45 minutes.
I live in the UK so some movies are not even out here which seem to feature in other peoples list. For example, Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln and Flight. Also Wreck It Ralph is not out yet but was out 2012 in US – may not be in “top movie” lists but looks great.
Other movies didn’t manage to see in 2012:
Life of Pi
21 Jump Street
End of Watch
The Hobbit – although not bothered about it
I am sure I have forgot some movies and no doubt people will disagree with my list – including the exclusion of Dark Knight Rises.